Read excerpt and answer question
1. Answer should be one to two paragraphs long
2. Must leverage textbook content to help your answer.
3. Leverage Management Controls and organizational design to help a functional organization structure perform better.
Don’t be succinct – take risks with your ideas and support them with examples. Respond to at least one post from your classmates (25% of grade).
Post one to two paragraphs (well written, complete) – 50%
Leverage book content (not just case study content) – 15%
Critical Thinking (use example, opinion, outside resource) – 10%
Be the Manager
Speeding up Website Design
You have been hire by a website design, production, and hosting company whose new animated website designs are attracting a lot of attention and many customers. Currently, employees are organized into different functions such as hardware, software design, graphic art, and website hosting, as well as function such as marketing and
human resources. Each function takes its turn to work on a new project from initial customer request to final online website hosting.
The problem the company is experiencing is that it typically takes one year from the initial idea stage to the time a website is up and running: the company wants to shorten the time by half to protect and expand its market niche. In talking to other managers, you discover that they believe the companyâ€™s current functional structure is the source of the problem-it is not allowing employees to develop websites fast enough to satisfy customersâ€™ demands. They want you to design a better structure.
- Discuss how you can improve the way the current functional structure operates so it speeds website development.
- Discuss the pros and cons of moving to a (a) multi-divisional, (b) matrix, (c) product team structure to reduce website development time.
- Which of these structures do you think is most appropriate, and why?
- What kind of culture would you help create to make the companyâ€™s structure work effectively?