Investigate a small, independent recording company (of which there are tens of thousands throughout the United States and the world). Visit its Web site, and/or e-mail or telephone the company. In your investigation, proceed through the steps of the critical process (listed below).
After choosing and researching an independent record label, respond to the following questions. Submit your responses by 11:59pm on Sunday. Please number your responses and do not re-write the questions.
1. Description. What kind of music does this label specialize in? Is the label limited to only one genre? What are some of the groups that the label produces? Where and how does the label identify its musical artists? How does the label describe itself? How does the label distribute its recordings to consumers?
2. Analysis. Look at the variety of groups that the label produces. What kind of fan is the label trying to target? How does this label promote its artists and get a recording to the consumer? What obstacles does the label face in popularizing its artists? Is the label fiercely independent, or is its goal to sell to a major label? Is the label struggling, or is it financially viable?
3. Interpretation. From what youâ€™ve gathered so far from your research, what major problems do independent recording labels face? Do you see independent labels overcoming these problems? How?
4. Evaluation. What is the value of small independent recording companies to the entire recording industry? What would be different about the recording industry as a whole if small independent labels didnâ€™t exist? Add other questions and information as you go along.
Submission and Grading
- Length: Approximately 3-5 pages, with a minimum of 3 pages
- Double-spaced, 1 inch margins, 12 point font
- Please submit your assignment as a document (Word, PDF). Please do not use Pages, as the instructor canâ€™t open this file.
- The following document files can be attached: .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx, .pdf, .xls, .xlsx, .rtf, .txt
- Per the policy in the syllabus, assignments may be turned in late, with a 2 point deduction for every day it is late.