You have been asked to make an “emerging technologies” presentation as part of a panel discussion at your company’s next senior leadership meeting. The topic for this panel is Cybersecurity for the Internet of Things. The panel moderator, your company’s Chief Technology Officer, has asked the speakers to each focus on one of four categories of enabling technologies for the Internet of Things (International Telecommunications Union, 2005):
- Tagging things: RFID and similar technologies
- Feeling things: Sensor technologies
- Thinking things: Smart technologies
- Shrinking things: Nanotechnology
Pick one of these categories. Research technologies which fit into your category (in the context of the Internet of things). Then present a summary of your research and findings as a background paper to be shared with the moderator and other panelists prior to the meeting. At a minimum, your background paper must address the following questions.
1. What is your selected category? (Name and describe it.)
2. What are the leading technologies in your selected category? (Name and describe at least three.)
3. How do these technologies contribute to the Internet of Things? (What are the benefits / what features or capabilities do they provide?)
4. What emerging risks to privacy and security have been identified for technologies in your selected category?
Format your analysis and findings as a background paper and post it as a response to this topic. Remember to cite your sources (3 minimum) and include a reference list at the end of your posting.
International Telecommunications Union. (2005). ITU Internet reports 2005: The Internet of things [Executive Summary]. Geneva, Switzerland: Author.