- Integrate leadership and management principles with knowledge of healthcare policy, finance, and regulatory guidelines to enhance quality care and patient safety while functioning within legal and ethical parameters of professional nursing.
- Determine population-based strategies that incorporate health determinants to promote optimal health and prevent escalation of diseases and conditions.
- Utilize effective intra-professional and inter-professional communication to promote a continuous and reliable therapeutic environment.
- Synthesize knowledge from the humanities, physical and social sciences, nursing theory, and applied research as a basis for evidence-based nursing practice and clinical reasoning.
- Analyze data from information systems and emerging healthcare technologies to guide decision making and clinical reasoning.
- Synthesize components of practice excellence, clinical judgment, and personal knowing as a foundation for complex client care and lifelong learning.
While attending a conference sponsored by a national nursing organization, you were captivated by the keynote speaker, a nurse currently employed as a lobbyist advocating for local and state healthcare legislation, who recently announced her candidacy for a position in the State Congress. Meeting this individual was the moment you realized you wanted to impact the healthcare of your local community through participation in her campaign for office. You expressed interest in opening her local community campaign office if she would provide mentorship.
She responded, â€œAbsolutely I would be your mentor. Political advocacy begins with understanding the needs of your community, so research your communityâ€™s needs, develop a solution for a priority issue you would champion as a political candidate for local office, and present your ideas in a White Paper next time we meet.â€
- Using this Policy Map , enter your zip code, investigate areas of interest in your local community, and identify a gap in services that you believe is a priority need for resolution.
- Review evidence in professional journals and information on the internet available from local, state, and national government organizations, major news entities, political parties, and professional healthcare organizations. Research political issues in healthcare.
- White paper
- Write a succinct summary of the proposed solution for the gap in services within the local community (no more than two paragraphs)
- Provide detailed background information with an explanation of the priority need, including identified health determinants
- Offer thorough descriptions of the proposed solution, including:
- Phases of implementation with
- Specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, timely (SMART) goals for each phase
- Detailed explanations for these considerations
- Strategies for collaboration with external and internal stakeholders to gain buy-in
- A detailed plan for initial and ongoing communication and dissemination of information
- Use of images such as tables and graphs recommended
- Phases of implementation with
- Write a concise, powerful conclusion to convince the reader the proposed solution is necessary (no more than one paragraph)
- Include relevant, comprehensive evidence from credible sources
- Use professional language and attribution for credible sources with correct APA citation, spelling, and grammar
Click here for a Library and Learning Services page on writing a Summary.
Click here for a Library and Learning Services page on creating a White Paper.
Click here for a Library and Learning Services page on using the SMART Method.
Click here for a Library and Learning Services page on Credible Sources.
Click here for a Library and Learning Services APA Guide.