Write 2-3 pages, APA format, singled spaced
As educators, community members, and/or parents we all play a role in disrupting problematic school practices. In this assignment you will identify one problematic practice in education and,
(1) describe the problem (historical context),
(2) explain why it is harmful to students
(3) offer solutions.
The assignment will be written in the form of a letter to a school principal or school board. You must use at least 3 reputable sources, such as, academic articles, books, news articles, and/or data, to support your argument.Please refer to the rubric to earn full points for the assignment.
- Top, right: First and Last name
- First line: Dear Principal or Dear School Board
- Body: Single-spaced
- Font: 12 point
- Margins: 1â€ all sides
Problematic practices (that perpetuate inequality) in education:
- Thanksgiving celebrations where children dress up as pilgrims and Native Americans (grades pre-kinderâ€”1st)
- School tracking: Tracking students into general/remedial and honors/AP courses (grades K-12)
- Tracking/pushing students of color into vocational education (versus college-track).
- Overrepresentation of students of color in special education
- Under representation of students of color in gifted, honors, and AP classes
- Lack of school counselors (especially in school districts serving low-income, students of color)
- Lack of mental health professionals (especially in school districts serving low-income, students of color)
- Underrepresentation of teachers of color OR teachers with disabilities OR teachers who identify as LGBTQ+
- White-centered and/or, male-centered and/or, hetero-centric curriculum
- Police or Military presence on campus (especially in school districts serving low-income, students of color)
- Limited or surface-level inclusions of diversity such as multicultural potlucks
- Absence of bilingual education (and/or absence of qualified bilingual educators)
- Absence of support or resources for students who are undocumented
- Punitive disciplinary practices (especially against low-income, students of color)
- Heteronormative schooling practices (e.g., school dances, sports, bathrooms…)
Need to accomplish
â€¢ Accurately identifies a problematic practice in education.
â€¢ Provides historical background.
â€¢ References reputable sources, such as course readings.
â€¢ Thoughtfully explains why and how the problematic practices is harmful to students.
â€¢ Answers questions such as: How does the practice reinforce inequalities in education? How does the practice perpetuate institutional oppression?
â€¢ Uses outside research and/or references to support the argument.
â€¢ Provides clear examples
â€¢ Provides thoughtful, relevant solutions.
â€¢ Supports ideas with outside research, data, or relevant experiential knowledge.
â€¢ Identifies several, specific resources for school principal or board member (such as, books, websites, news articles, filmsâ€¦).