Suppose you are given the linear process depicted below. Numbers in parentheses indicate throughput capacities. No buffers exist between stations, so blocking & starvation rules apply.
Task A (5) —> Task B (6) —> Task C (4) —> Task D (7) —> Task E (6)
Suppose you could hire an additional worker, which would double the throughput capacity for any single task. To which task should you assign this worker?
Following the previous question, what would the actual throughput rate out of Task E be after hiring the new worker?
Suppose you have two workers performing the same task in parallel. Each worker can handle one order at a time. Worker A can process an order in 10 minutes; worker B is takes 5 minutes per order.
How many orders per minute can both workers produce in combination?
Suppose you have a three task sequence. All customers go to Task A. After task A, 60% of customers go to Task B; the other 40% go to task C. After task B or C, all customers then go to Task D before leaving. No buffers exist between tasks, so blocking/starvation rules apply.
Suppose throughput capacities are as follows. Task A: 10 customers/hour; task B: 5 customers/hour; task C: 6 customers/hour; task D, 12 customers/hour.
Use this information to answer the next 3 questions.
At what rate will customers leave task D (in customers/hour)? Pick the closest answer.
The utilization of Task B is closest to which of the following?
What is the bottleneck in the A-C-D process route?