Respond to any question you are familiar with based in the case study below:
Company Name-Workforce Solutions Services Inc. (WSS)
Vision– Making HR Easier Industry – Staffing and Workforce Solutions Product -Solutions # Employees -5,000 employees – US and Canada Temporary and permanent staffing, outsourcing, and innovative workforce solutions (payroll, on site workforce management, recruiting, temporary solutions, outplacement).
Financial Overview–Modestly Profitable 20% profit margins Strategic Emphasis -Acquiring new customers. Experimentation and searching for opportunities are valued. Acquire new resources. Obtain new opportunities. Differentiation. Continuous Development. Transformational changes to the market. Focus on growth â€“ expand service offerings. Long term approach. Increase market share Market -Service differentiation Position -Provide new solutions to the customer Competitors- Many competitors Criteria for Success -The organization defines success on the basis of having the most unique or newest services. It is a service leader and innovator. Goal is to outpace and outperform the competition with new opportunities, provide unique cuttingedge workforce solutions Organization Culture -Commitment to innovation and development. There is an emphasis on being on the cutting edge. Risk-Taking, Performance, Long Term Thinking, Unstructured Environment, Flexible, Creative, Shared Decision Making, Freedom to Act. Dominant Characteristics –
The organization is a very dynamic entrepreneurial place. People are willing to stick their necks out and take risks.
Leadership -The leadership in the organization is generally considered to exemplify entrepreneurship, innovating, or risk-taking Management of employees -The management style in the organization is characterized by individual risk-taking, innovation, freedom, and uniqueness.
Values– Honesty, Diversity, High Performance, Innovation, Risk Taking, Learning, Balance, Flexibility
Workforce Description– Employee specialization â€“ Temporary labor which includes clerical, administrative, assemblers, machine operators, inspectors Other key positions include Information Technology Business Analysts, Information Technology Specialists, Cost Accountants, Safety Specialists, Sales Managers, On site Client Managers, Media, Communications and Media Specialists. Diverse workforce with broad range in age.
Customer Facing â€“ Temporary Labor assigned to client sites, such as Assemblers, Administrative Assistants, and Clerks, as well as Sales Managers, Solution Managers, and On-site client Managers External labor market availability- The labor market is not readily available. Competition with other companies is fierce.
Questions that need answers:
1) Review the Workforce Description in the case study. Select a Customer Facing position in the Workforce Description (EXCLUDE SALES). If you had to perform a job analysis on this position, how would you do it? Be specific.
2) What type of structure (Job-based, Skill-based, Competency-based, Blended) would best fit your organization and why?
3) What job evaluation method would you use to determine your positions’ relative worth to develop the internal hierarchy, equity, and external competitiveness? Why?
4) If you were to design a Competency-Based pay structure, what are the most important (core) competencies (select the top five) you would choose for your organization and why? What are the advantages of a competency-based pay system? What are the disadvantages? HRM307 â€“ Compensation & Benefits Case Study 2
5) What are the factors that shape your organization’s external competitiveness to recruit and retain employees? Discuss your specific labor market factors (supply and demand), product market factors (competition and product demand), and the organization factors (industry, strategy, size, etc.). From this information and your organizations’ ability to pay, where would you position your organization’s overall competitive pay policy (lead, market, or lag) and why?
6) If you were going to select jobs to include in a benchmark survey to ensure that your pay is competitive, which jobs would you choose and why (review Workforce Description)?
7) In designing your internal pay structure, would you design pay ranges and grades, OR broadbands, and why?