Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Here we are told not only to persevere when we face hard times in our life, but also to be joyful. For some of us, that can be a challenge to understand, especially initially. As you read and reread this verse, it becomes clear that it underscores the importance of spiritual maturity. We are instructed here to persevere through our trials so that we may become spiritually mature.
Consider what spiritual maturity means to you.
God desires us to spiritually mature, or to â€œ[attain] to the whole measure of the fullness of Christâ€ (Ephesians 4:13). As we persevere through our individual trials of life, God wants us to grow closer to Him.
As professional social workers, it is a privilege to learn how our many of our clients have grown closer to God through their life struggles. Many clients have a strong sense of spiritual maturity, and many do not. But for those who do, their faith is a strength we can use to help them help themselves. You will be study the strengths perspective in this workshop. As you do, donâ€™t forget to consider the spiritual strengths your clients bring to the table.
Consider your spiritual strengths. Would you consider yourself spiritually mature? Why or why not? Reflect on how your personal trials have impacted your relationship with God.
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate Christ-like attitudes, values, and worldviews and ethical and professional behavior within advanced clinical practice. (PO 1)
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- In an APA formatted paper, write a one-paragraph response to each of the following prompts:
- How would you describe spiritual maturity? What does the term mean to you? Are you spiritually mature? How have the tests and trials of your life led to greater spiritual maturity?
- How are you joyful when you face challenges in life? If you arenâ€™t, how could you be?