You must be able to recognize, identify and accurately describe the underlying assumptions and beliefs inherent in Christianity and the roots of each in the New Testament. The assignment will be submitted in the form of a paper that is a minimum of 1500 words in length (no maximum), formatted according to APA guidelines. This paper is concerned with the relationship between Christianity and the New Testamentâ€¦ which may be more or less than is often assumed. They did not develop simultaneously. It must include the following:
- An introduction which previews major points and includes a ****THESIS STATEMENT****.
- A paragraph that covers the General History and Background of the Christianity (Origin, date founded, founder [not Jesus], geographic distribution)
- The role/significance of the New Testament in the development of the Christian religion and related beliefs. (What is the NT? Where did it come from? Why is the NT important to Christianity?).
- The the role of Jesus and his life story AND where to find that information the New Testament writings.
- How Christians are expected to behave, the â€œmoralityâ€ espoused by this religion? What does Jesus say about that? AND how that is or is not supported in the New Testament writings.
- The beliefs of the Christian faith, specifically, The Trinity and the importance of each aspect, AND how is this concept supported or not supported in the New Testament writings.
- A paragraph that addresses the Rituals of Christianity and includes, but not limited to the Eucharist (Lordâ€™s Supper) and Baptism (the details of when, where, and how it is practiced) AND how are these rituals supported or not supported in the New Testament writings.
- The meaning of Salvation for Christians: What is salvation? What is Jesus role in salvation? Who or what is being saved? What are they/it being saved from? What is the process of obtaining salvation? Did any sacred objects or symbols emerge in this process? AND how is this supported or not supported in the New Testament writings.
- The Sacred Times / Holidays celebrated by Christians (Christmas and Easter are the minimum). What are they? What are they celebrating? When do they occur? Where do the traditions of these holidays originate? Which, if any of these practices, are supported in the New Testament?
- The Sacred Spaces and Places considered to be sacred by Christians? What are they (cities, sites, buildings, etc)? Why are they sacred? Where are they located? Are they mentioned in the New Testament? Where?
- At least one Christian Commune (examples: monasteries, convents, Taize, Grandchamp, the Amish, the Branch Davidians, the Oneida, early Mormon communities), past or present AND how their existence is or is not supported in the New Testament writings.
- Christianityâ€™s role in public lifeâ€¦ because religion is not strictly a private matter. How has the Christian religion impacted the world? Is there something in the New Testament that gives Christians directions about this topic? What and where?
- A conclusion is that is logical and reviews the major points.
Mechanics and grammar expectations for submitted writing must be met.
Cite at least three sources (The Text Book plus two peer reviewed articles). Please note that papers without citations will not be graded.